You may be wondering: What is the UWHA and its purpose? The UWHA represents you! It is an independent organization run by UW Fellows and Residents to address issues directly affecting you during your residency and fellowship. UWHA offers educational and social programming to enhance your residency and fellowship experience. Below are some of the many benefits provided to UWHA members (along with spouses, significant others, and children):
- Represent residents and fellows on the GME Committee to negotiate issues, benefits, and policies with hospital administrators
- House Staff Lounge (TV, 2 computer work stations, exercise equipment) for residents/fellows in room F5/606
- Social events, gatherings, and happy hour with FREE drinks and food for UWHA members and significant others at locations like The Terrace at Memorial Union on Lake Mendota,
- Wisconsin Brewing Company and ‘Craft and Cocktails’ at Revel Craft Bar; cooking classes; fitness classes such as spinning and yoga
- Financial support for resident/fellow sports teams
- Grants for Resident Interest Groups
- Monthly seminars and drop-in sessions on topics such as financial planning, contract negotiation, and selling one’s home
- Family events including Appleberry Farm and Boating at Brittingham Park
- Special events such as UWHA’s Annual Winter Gala, March Madness bracket contest and Crazylegs Classic 8K Run
- UWHA Website (http://www.uwha.org) that includes:
- Referral list with realtors, mortgage lenders and other local service providers recommended by current residents and fellows
- House/condo/apartment listings (for sale/rent) by outgoing residents and fellows
- Classified ad section for buying and selling items between residents and fellows
- Links to professional websites, department websites, and information about Madison
- Calendar of events hosted by UWHA, special deals and discounts for House Staff, and much more!
To join UWHA and receive all of these great benefits and services,
please fill out the online membership registration form:
Once you submit the membership application, payroll will automatically deduct $6 each month from your paycheck. We know you will enjoy the many benefits of being a UWHA member! As an organization independent of the hospital, ran by UW Residents and Fellows, we can’t survive without your support!
If you are interested in taking a more active role within the UWHA, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact your department representative or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.